The Environmental Defense Fund contracted with APPRISE to develop information on opportunities for Low-Income Energy Efficiency (LIEE) in four target states and around the country. The research assessed policy and program design changes that are necessary to overcome barriers and fully realize the benefits of LIEE programs.
The goals of the research were to develop data and information that provide advocates with key insights to advance new LIEE policies and programs. Research was conducted through review of LIEE literature and research reports, including previous APPRISE studies, and interviews with key program actors. The following topics were covered.
- Regulatory and Program Structure of LIEE offerings
- Energy Costs and Energy Burden for Low-Income Households
- Energy Efficiency Funding and Opportunities
- Barriers to Investment in LIEE
- Policies and Financing Mechanisms
- Evaluation of LIEE Programs
- Best Practices for LIEE Programs